Thursday, January 15, 2009

Leading ther Band

So, for the first time, I've taken the lead on putting together a band to play a series of shows. I've always been a sideman, never really wanting to by in charge. Well, now I have been given a regular gig for a few months and needed to put together a band. I chose a couple of the best players I know and a few sets of material. I scheduled a couple of rehearsals and wrote out some charts.

In short: Man, what a lot of work. And playing a show as the leader, I never realized how much thought you should put into calling out songs to create a flow of music. Plus, singing and soloing as the leader created a whole new sense of anxiety.

My apologies to all those leaders who I may not have been up to par at their gigs. I get it now. I get it.

No comments: